Sunday, January 11, 2009

Rusks

2 1/2 c. milk, scaled and cool
1 pkg. dry yeast, dissolved in 1/4 c. water
1 c. sugar
2 t. salt
2 c. flour
1 c. melted butter or shortening (put in milk to cool)
2 c. flour
2 crushed cardamom seed - or more
1 egg, beaten

Add enough flour to knead (@ 6 cups). Let rise, punch down, let rise again. Make into loaves. Let rise again. Bake at 350F for about 25-30 minutes or until brown on top and done. When cool, slice (dip in sugar-optional) and dry in warm oven (200F) 10-15 minutes each side.

I should have followed my own recipe. I dried them longer toward the end of the batch but it was too long. In my oven it at least 15, maybe 20.



1 comment:

Billye said...

Hi,

These rusks are different than the ones I make. They look very good. I'll have to give them a try.