Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Best laid plans...

Today I thought I would try to catch up on my Bible reading. I should be wrapping up Job now if I'd managed to read each day as I'd intended. However I've gotten a call to sub so I'll be eating some lunch and then heading out. I did manage to read one day's worth, however.

Job 6-9

Poor Job. He feels the weight of the trials that he's been allowed to suffer. He's had to suffer as well through a friend's well-intentioned misunderstanding of sin and punishment. Today, while he is correct to find no comfort in the actual words of Eliphaz, he does make the mistake of not appreciating the desire of Eliphaz to offer comfort and sympathy, even if it wasn't the kind poor Job needed.

Job feels such despair. His sores heal in one place and get worse in another. He won't consider suicide but if God decided to just finish him off then and there he wouldn't complain. It couldn't be any worse than this, he figures.

Then Bildad gets his turn. He reminds me a little too much of many today, even Christians, who wrongly believe that any suffering you may have is a result of sin or lack of faith. How much of the Word of Faith theology is based upon this nonsense? While sin does cause suffering, it's not necessarily proportional. If you are suffering some type of affliction, of any sort, it isn't necessarily the result of sin in your life. If you're born with an affliction of some type, it's not due to sin on the part of your parents. But Bildad is certain that if Job's children died they must have died due to their sin. No, they died due to Adam's sin, the same reason we all die.

I'd like to think and write more, but I need to get ready to go. I need to talk to the teacher before she leaves for the day. At least we have something to mull over until next time.

No comments: