Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Nothing like venting some spleen!

Tomorrow the twins have parties in their respective classes before the holiday. I made a fatayer run tonight to Fahaheel. There's not a lot to do in Kuwait for fun except eat out and shop and they all seem to do it at the same time.

It took an hour to get there and it's just down the Coast Road from our house. Then almost another hour back after buying the stuff.

To top it off, I came out of the bakery and there was a car stopped in the street blocking my car. The driver had 3 passengers with him. One was out of the car, holding back the man standing at the window trying to get in the window to the driver. The other two friends were holding the driver back. Oh, great! Just what I needed tonight!

Well, all that time teaching 8th graders wasn't for nothing. Nor that year of teaching 3rd grade Kuwaiti boys. I stood in front of my car and yelled at them, "Will you move? I need to get in my car!" The friend outside spoke to the man he was holding on to and spoke to him in Arabic about knocking it off. It didn't work because the driver was oblivious. {sigh} So I pounded on the hood until I got the driver's attention and yelled, "I want to get in my car! Move!" Finally they broke it off and the outside friend hopped back in the back seat. They started to drive off when another man comes up to try to calm down the driver. He was moving! He had to stop to listen! Argh!

Finally he was gone and I got back in my car. I thought of a few choice things I wish I'd said. One of them is a rather colorful word but if they weren't Lebanese it would probably have been lost on them. Another expression I thought of was in English, which would have been interesting if someone had had to translate it for them. Or really interesting if I'd had to act it out for them. Maybe it's a good thing I didn't. But the expressions on their faces would have been priceless!

3 comments:

Elephantschild said...

I used to listen to the Lebanese boys at my international school try to out-cuss each other in Arabic.

Dirty words never sounded so wonderful. Nothing better for a verbal knock-down than Arabic!

Laurie and Bill said...

LOL! I bet I can guess the expression in English that he would have looked funny acting out! Hee! Frustrating for you, but I found the last bit hilarious!

Thursday's Child said...

Yes, they're certainly colorful!

I was telling one TA this morning about it and she said, "I'll teach you some Arabic!"

Arabic does have a way of saying things. ;)