This was a day I don't want to repeat.
Today was a mess at school. There was a special program for grandmothers since Saturday is Mother's Day in the part of the world. My girls were chosen to participate in it. They were told to wear dresses. They've gotten very strict with the dress code lately so it's really frowned upon. But the Arabic teacher told them to so they did and some of them looked more like they were headed to a wedding than a school play. There was no approval from the principal and only 2 of them showed up with their swim gear. So while those 2 had a free period the rest enjoyed the old-fashioned consequence of copying sentences the whole time. "But my mom told me..." Ugh! If I never hear that again I'll be thrilled.
Yesterday I was told by the other teacher (who told them to wear dresses) that she would pick them up at around 11:45. This morning it turned into 11:30, their normal lunch time. I decided they could just eat during Math. So they're in the middle of their lesson and she shows up to take them downstairs. Well, she had to wait until 11:30. She insisted she needed to take them down and I insisted that they needed to finish their math and lunch. I won...naturally.
After they left I got a call from our maid.
"Mom, where are you?"
"Um, I'm at school."
A lady from school had called and asked her where I was. She went into a panic thinking I'd been kidnapped or killed in a wreck. She called Baba who worried about me as well. I told her I'd been there since before 7 and she said something about that "stupid woman". Then a few minutes later Baba called to make sure I was where I should be.
Just how hard would it be to look for me in my classroom, people?!
So I e-mailed my supervisor and she told me it was good to have me there and safe. LOL
Then instead of returning to class most of the girls ended up going home. There went science. I've never been so happy to know we didn't have to stay until 3.
On the way home my friend and I passed one of many wrecks that occur here on a daily basis. First I noticed the policeman on the curb and a tennis shoe in the far right lane. Then the police car. Then a car with a shattered windshield and blood all over the rear window. Then another police car. On the other side of it were 2 bodies covered in a sheet. I'm surprised that in my almost 3 years here this is only the first time I've passed a wreck with the bodies still there.
After a day like today I'm missing those 3-day weekends. But only 2 more weeks until spring break!
2 comments:
Ugh--how awful! Bet you're glad for the weekend!
Put your feet up and a movie on, and here's some chocolate. *hands Beth a huge box of chocolate*
Bad day for sure. (((hugs)))
Post a Comment