Friday, April 4, 2008

The Duck Church

Today we made it to church 2 Fridays in a row! Wow! And, to top that, I actually got the twins to go up to Sunday school without begging me to stay with them. They really wanted to go to BK for lunch. LOL Their behavior could have been better after SS but they did pretty well for the time of day and their attention span. We'll work on that once Sunday school is old hat.

I was thrilled to get to hear the whole sermon with no one driving me crazy through it. One of the readings for today was Peter's sermon in Acts 2. He talked about how the people listening to Peter were "church goers". He was telling them things they already knew, things that you'd expect him to share with people outside the "church". Then he explains that Jesus was the Messiah they were looking for. The people felt convicted when they found out they'd killed the Messiah. Usually when we hear a passage that we realize applies to us, convicts us, makes us weep, it's God wanting us to do something. He wants a response from us.

At some point we re-evaluate our lives and who's in charge. Some of us are like a car without anyone at the wheel, falling off a cliff. Others have to always be in control. God says, "Let me be in control." It's not easy for those who are used to being in control themselves.

When we're baptized, we are dying. When we come out of the water we are gasping for air, we are coming back to life.

Forgiveness is something people are worried about, but these days it's mostly about forgiving themselves. But Christ is there to forgive us; He forgives us ALL our sins. PERIOD. A spirit of condemnation has no place in a Christian. The Spirit of God is with us ALL THE TIME.

The Christian life is full of gifts-have you opened yours? He told about the duck church. The ducks all waddled into church and sat down in the pews. The duck pastor waddled up to the pulpit and gave his sermon. He told them that God gave them wings. He'd given them the gift of flight. They should go out and fly! So after church they waddled out the door, told the pastor it was a great sermon, and then waddled on home.

It was so nice to get to hear a whole sermon. How long had it been since I'd gotten to do that? The kids were all upstairs and I was alone with the adults. Heaven!

Now the Boss is spending the night at a friend's house, the twins are asleep, and so's DH. I can either stay up and watch a movie or head to bed myself. I'm thinking about picking the movie and working on my cross stitch but I think I'll get some sleep instead. I have the whole week ahead of me to watch movies and work on it, so I think I'll sleep. And not have to get up in the morning until I feel like it, or DH gets annoyed with the twins not letting him sleep and I get twin-watching duty. LOL

'Night!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Sounds like you had a great day!
Also, I like your new look. I'm so behind in reading blogs.

I remember when I thought I was in control of my life. Whew! What a mess I made! It goes much better with me following Christ! :)

Have a blessed weekend!