Sunday, June 22, 2008

They know the Chicken Dance too!

Last night I went to my first wedding over here. It was so much fun! The invitation said 7 and I was worried that I was late. I arrived about 7:30. (Thank you, Diva.) There was only one other guest there that I knew of, another was in the room. So after a few more arrived we went in. Slowly guests started to trickle in. We sat and visited and the hijabs and abeyas came off. It was fun trying to figure out who everyone was when they looked so different from what they look like at school. I realized that K has short, kind of a bobbed, hairstyle. She was upset that she was the only one there dressed like, in her words, a hoochie-mama (she grew up in Las Vegas). She was very upset that R2 wasn't showing cleavage and wore her hijab. R2 had planned to get her hair done but due to a miscommunication thought she'd be the only one. H, who filled in as my TA was there. She's a very pretty girl, seems quiet and a bit shy. Boy, was I wrong! She was wearing the cutest, short white, dress and her hair and make-up had me wondering, "Who on earth is that?!" When the bride was escorted in by the groom it was about 9:15. (I guess I didn't need to worry after all.)

R was absolutely beautiful. Her dress was long and full, with gold trimming around it. The bolero-type jacket was a cream color. She wore a white, lacy hijab under her very long veil. The women waited until the groom and the bride's male family members left and then off came the hijab again and the party got started. R2 tried to get me up to dance. I told her I needed a few margaritas first and since that wasn't happening in this country (we're a dry country) I was sitting it out. I got up for a few simple steps though. Then the drums started in on this one song. R2 told me to do it and I said, "It's a boob shaking one. There's not enough tequila in the world for that!"

We did the dabka a few times. If you don't know it, don't watch a Lebanese. They'll add extra fancy steps that are hard to figure out. Instead follow your German friend who's been married to a Lebanese for over 20 years and you'll get it.

My only complaint of the evening were the servers. They kept trying to take half empty glasses that you obviously weren't finished with. They were almost militant. Even if you said no, they still reached for it and looked at you strangely if you insisted. I got up to dance and came back to finish my plate (which was only half empty). It was gone! So from them on if I had food on my plate I stayed put.

The groom came back in to cut the cake and take more pictures so the women who'd uncovered covered again. Then he left and they came off again. We partied until about 11:30. I'd asked R if she planned on doing the chicken dance, but apparently the DJ didn't have it in her repertoire. (Can't imagine why!) Then, before leaving, R2 said that I wanted to do the chicken dance. (I was kidding and she knew it.) So we did it a cappella. Well, actually, not really. We did it while humming it ourselves. LOL And my German friend was actually going to sit it out! Can you believe that?

The women covered one last time and T came in for his bride. We followed them to the elevator, being as loud and obnoxious as possible. Even if R hadn't been dressed from head to toe in a long, white dress and veil, it would still have been impossible to not know she'd just gotten married. Then after they finally got away from us, I mean, got on the elevator, we all hugged and said good-bye, asked to where we were travelling (no one in their right mind stays here during the summer), and said "See you in September, insha'allah."

Tomorrow we leave for Lebanon! Whoohoo! I probably won't have time to post again for a few days. I have to get it connected. Our flight apparently lasts 6 hours with no stop mentioned on the ticket. S said it doesn't take her 6 hours to get to Germany so there must be a stop somewhere. Usually it's non-stop in about 2 1/2 hours so this is a bit disappointing. At least I found a couple of electronic games for the twins (since 4 is a little young for Gameboys of their own) so that should keep they happy. We're having company for lunch and then packing tonight. I start my diet in Lebanon. {sigh}

3 comments:

Debbie Haughland Chan said...

It was cool to hear your description of the wedding. It matched very well the wedding described in Ted Dekker's Blink except that the groom didn't keep coming in and out as you described. Have a safe trip to Lebanon!

Unashamed said...

Just getting caught up on your goings-on and now you're going away! My timing is bad, yes? Anyways, your life, as always, is interesting. Hope your visit to Lebanon is a great one. Get lots of pictures!

Rita Loca said...

Have a safe trip! Great interesting post!