Tuesday, June 3, 2008

What's the point of taking this picture?



I mean seriously! You can't even tell who's who! How does that prove to anyone that you even there. You could be passing off a picture of someone else. (Yes, that's me in front of the Eiffel Tower. Yes, that's me at Macchu Picchu.)

I forwarded the e-mail these pics came in to my Egyptian friend and an American friend at my school, both Muslims. Don't get my Egyptian friend started on women who cover. She respects them and their right to do so, but she really gets going when she explains that it's not Islam, it's Bedouin/Arabic culture. "Mohammad said a woman needs her face and hands uncovered so she can shop and work." Actually it's rather easy to get R going on a lot of things, usually parents (before anyone gets in a huff, she's the mother of two school-aged children as well), and she's really rather funny. I'm surprised we haven't gotten into a ton of trouble with the American friend I mentioned (she's the elementary coordinator so kind of our boss) for how silly we tend to act during staff meetings.

Oh, and the American friend? The other day we were sitting around complaining about the TA my neighbor and I share. L was about ready to go after her and talk to her about what she'd pulled that day but she was afraid she'd say something not-so-nice. She yanked on her hijab and said, "Don't let this thing fool you." (We're hardly fooled. We love how politically incorrect this woman is.)

I'm counting the days until we hop on the plane for Lebanon for the summer but I'm sure going to miss my friends. Thank heavens for e-mail!

Oh, and the point of this picture? Apparently...



*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*






















LOL Now you know why I was rambling. Had to put something in the space between these pics.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

lol is this picture for real?

Anonymous said...

Even if this picture is not real it made me smile.

You see this form of dress is pretty common in some areas in my corner of Australia. You see these ladies covered to the max and their husbands or male companions are dressed in western style. That irks me as I feel what is good for the goose should be good for the gander in this case. Personally I find it hard as I have a hearing loss and if they speak with me I have a very difficult time understanding them.

So thanks for the smile.

Suzan