Tuesday, September 29, 2009

LOL

Baba has always bragged about schools here. Oh, the kids here don't disrespect their teachers. Well, they do. Most of my students are pretty good so far. At least, they've made a pretty good impression on me. However, there are 4 or 5 who definitely have not. They're in for a very rude awakening when they realize that if they share their answers they'll get a zero. If they don't do their work, they'll get a zero. If they sit and talk and don't follow directions they'll be lucky if they get more than a zero. I can't wait for reality to slam right into them. {hehehe}

The rest of the class seems to be a pretty good bunch of kids. They were attentive and tried their best, in spite of the ... others. I'm thinking it might be a class that sees lots of pop quizzes over the previous class period's discussions. What do you think?

2 comments:

Harmony said...

I think the "others" are the ones who need you most. I raised "others" and it was always a great challenge for them at school. The teachers they learned from were the ones who gave praise for work done and gave consequences for work not done - and here's the clincher - in an atmosphere of unconditional acceptance of who they are as people. The one really bad experience was with a teacher who was a "victim".

I think you are on the right track with contingency planning for the eventuality that the "others" are human with special issues. All the best to you!

Shirley

Thursday's Child said...

You're absolutely right. They were better today but acted up more when something resembling work was involved. They've had bad experiences with other teachers and are trying to be preemptive with me. ;) But I just treat them like the rest of the class, hold them to the same expectations, and make sure they know I'm there to help them as they need it.

They're likable kids. Just need a firm hand and a soft heart.