Saturday, September 19, 2009

Weekend!

It has been such a busy week. I spent most of the day Monday and most of the morning Tuesday at the kids' school buying books. The used book sale on Monday only got me the 2 science books and the geography book that the Boss needs. Good deal, but I was freaking about the English book...new it's over $100. I did NOT want to buy it new. But not many people on Monday had 7th grade books (and there weren't that many period selling books).

I went ahead and bought the Peanuts' books (KG uses only consumable books so they're all new. Yuck!) The next morning I went back because that was the first day to buy books for 7th grade. While waiting in line (they called your name when it was your turn) a lady noticed I was needing the 7th grade IP list. She had ALL the books! I bought the English, Math, and history books from her. The great thing about buying from parents is you get the books for half price. I got all the the Boss's hard covers used (and in pretty good shape) and just had to buy the consumable books and the two novels new, along with his stationary and locker rental. (Need to remember to go buy that lock.)

After I got home Tuesday I got a call from a school where I'd applied back in June asking me to come in for an interview. I hurried and fixed lunch for the kids but had to wait to eat until I got home. Before I left the school I had an sms from the Big Prince (LOL-I need a different nickname for him but he's the one the Little Prince is named after) saying the internet company had called to say I could take my router in for them to do something to it so I could get online. Boy, that day just kept getting better and better!

Of course, when I got home and plugged everything in it didn't work. It was Thursday before the tech guy could come but he was worth the wait. He was polite, helpful, and even showed me how to get my touch pad to work again. Elektra freaked the first time he headed to my bedroom to check the phone jack in there so he needed an escort everytime he went but that just made Baba love her more when I told him about it. Turns out the phone line was fine but the password had changed. Somehow. Anyway, he got me connected and I'm online. Whoohoo!

Thursday I started at the school. The teachers have been back since the beginning of the month and part of next week is Eid so I'm very behind and could easily get stressed. But everyone is helpful and a lot are new this year, including some of the admin, so we're all being patient with each other. Thursday I also met with the lady I'm replacing who gave me an idea of the levels of the students and yesterday I dug through the resource room to get an idea of the materials available. During Eid I'll have the Boss get my posters out of the attic so I can decorate my room and I'll brush up on Harry Wong and my Assertive Discipline books (being one of the few integrated schools here I will have several students with special needs. I'll also have students who only get consistency at school.

I'm also back to Flying. A few years ago I found Fly Lady and love her. She's going to help me keep it together this year. The best thing though is that she has a section for students so the Boss will use her methods to stay on top of his room, chores, and homework this year. He thinks it'll be fun. He gets to have flexibility and time to play but still get his work done. I just need to get stuff ready to print so he can have his control journal handy. (Mine too, for that matter. LOL)

I need to get busy with getting pictures ready to post. I know which one I want to post for Wordless Wednesday. I've never done that before and this should be a good one to start with. LOL

Well, I have stuff to do before the power comes back on so I can vacuum. I can't vacuum while on generator even if I unplug the frig. It just knocks it off. Gotta love this country!

No comments: