Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A rose by any other name...

This morning I let Ace out to use the bathroom. A while later he was at the door and I let him in. Then I shooed him right back out again. He'd had his first encounter (since we've had him, anyway) with a skunk. Frankly I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner than this. I ran to MFA after dropping off the kids at school and found a de-skunk shampoo but the bottle is $8 and you use the whole thing! Not happening. So I mentioned seeing a recipe for a homemade shampoo that was supposed to be effective. The gal there googled it for me and I wrote it down. I stopped at the discount store next door and picked up the one ingredient I didn't already have at home.

I gave Ace his bath and he's clean and sweet. That stuff is truly amazing. His face still stinks but I think that's for two reasons. One, I was very careful to keep the solution out of his eyes...the main ingredient is hydrogen peroxide. Also, I'm thinking the skunk nailed him right in the face since it's very strong there and his eye is red and irritated. I'm not delusional...there's a chance that, despite my best efforts, I could have gotten some in his eyes anyway. I've washed his face with cloth with baking soda and vinegar on it and I've also used a cotton ball to put vanilla on it (recommended by a friend who used to work at Bass Pro and got that advice from hunters). It's still stinky though but only when you can smell his head. The smell isn't lingering in the room.

We took him with us to McD's and the truck stinks so I put an open jar with baking soda and vanilla in it to work overnight. Hopefully we'll enjoy the smell in the morning on the drive to school.

Oh, and candles in every room help the rest of the house. :)

No comments: