Friday, November 28, 2014

We'll see how it goes

This week I'm trying my hand at the yeast bread made with soaked flour from Nourishing Traditions. I'm not hopeful. I know to expect it to be pretty dense, though better for sandwiches than the other recipes in the book. However, I'm fully expecting a couple of bricks to come out of the oven. Right now the loaves are rising in one of the warmest rooms in the house (if I shut the door to keep the heat in after the furnace cycles on). I'm not in a hurry, so long as they're ready to bake before I'm ready to head to bed tonight. The recipe makes it seem so easy but either I'm picturing something different (not having seen pictures of what to expect) or I'm doing something wrong.

So long as it goes better than the buttermilk/sour cream experiment. At least I got plenty of creme fraiche and when I repeated the buttermilk Wednesday it came out right. So there's hope for the bread, right?

Oh, and I made Kishk. I've seen it in my cookbooks but no directions on how to make it. Apparently according to the author of one of my Lebanese cookbooks I require a flat roof and LOTS of bulgar and yogurt. Well, I just used 4 cups of each, cookie sheets, and a low oven. Much easier and I can do it more than once a year. Yeah!

No comments: