Friday, January 23, 2015

Don't eat all the leeks yourself!

I'm trying to diversify our diet. We've been making the move to traditional whole foods and so far I really enjoy it. I've been trying different vegetable, some with success, others without. Last night it was leeks, sauteed with carrots, which I found yummy (even though they were a little burnt due to a bit of inattentiveness on my part.) When the Peanuts decided they didn't like them I happily took theirs. Word of advice...if you're in the habit of finishing unwanted veggies, don't ever do that with leeks. Or Jerusalem artichokes. You would think I'd remember that lesson but it was a few years ago. What happened, you might ask? Well, just take my word for it. Or if you want to satisfy your curiosity, go ahead. You'll get your answer in just a few short hours. Just make sure you're not too far from home.

I flipflop between soaking and not soaking my flour for bread. I have yet to for pizza dough. With the bread I really have no excuse. Just forget to the night before. Actually I think that's the problem. I'm tired and/or in the middle of other things or hauling kids hither and yon and don't want to mess with it or just plain old forget. I need to do it the the DAY before, when I'm thinking of it. As for the pizza, I don't always decide on pizza the day before. Though, I suppose I could fudge and as soon as I think of it, especially if early in the morning, just soak until I need to make the pizza. Better than nothing, right?

I do make my own yogurt. It's always yummy. I use whey like crazy. I make our own ketchup, which is super easy. Just needs 2 days to ferment. Need to branch out though. We're joining a CSA so I need to use fermenting as my back-up plan when we might get all the veggies eaten. My intention is (notice I didn't waste my time saying "plan", since we know how those go) to start with eating the produce that doesn't work for fermentation or other methods of keeping around longer. Then if we run out of time before the next box arrives or it's a case of ferment or lose it, I'll ferment. We'll see how that goes. I'm hoping to learn a lot from our time helping with the CSA and start small with a garden of our own. DH tends to want to start big. If we have a neighbor with a tiller who can fix us up a small garden, why not just have him fix us a BIG garden. Why not? Because I'm the one taking care of it. I have Gardening for Dummies but other than that I'm pretty clueless. He's working more than full time so I can be home so I'm taking care of things myself...think 11 chicks and 10 dogs (9 were puppies) in my house at one point this winter. I want to start small so I don't get overwhelmed. Also so that if I get busy with other things the garden is small enough to manage...and get the kids to help with. I'm about baby steps...DH is about starting great guns and dumping on the wife.

If you want a good recipe for whole wheat bread that you soak, check out Kitchen Stewardship. 
She has great recipes there for us newbies. I could get lost in her website and never come home. I could easily bankrupt myself at the library printing up her recipes.

No comments: