Friday, February 22, 2008

Another holiday! Whoohoo!

I hope no one's thinking that I've given up blogging. I've just given up any free moments in my day. We're still without a maid but as soon as we can get a form from my school we can get the visa for the lady we're hiring from Sri Lanka. She's a few years younger than we are, has 2 kids, and her husband passed away. Worlds apart from the last one.

Yesterday we had our National Day/Liberation Day celebration at school. One of the coordinators said she didn't know how much you could do with a flag. The girls were dressed in gorgeous dresses in the flag's colors, headbands, barettes, jewelry, everything. OK, it was closer to tacky on some of them, but they looked adorable. And my girls performed a song for the assembly and did a wonderful job. These girls work very hard and always do their best. After the assembly there was a puzzle contest, face painting and henna for the hands. I got some on my hand. Last year my neighbor took me to a relative of hers who has a salon. She painted henna from my hand up to my shoulder. Yesterday I got some on my hand. It looks nice. My friend got it on her wrist like a bracelet and looks nice. But my sleeves were too long and would have made a mess.

The other day I mentioned to DH that I had worn the same dress to Giurgian last year, National/Liberation Days last year, and Giurgian this year. He said, "So why don't you go buy another one?" LOL So I did and got a great price on it. It's so pretty.

Well, I have to confess that we played hookie from church this morning. After a week of going to bed after 11 (closer to midnight) and getting up at 5, the last day at work being on my feet than I normally am (no free periods to sit and grade or make lesson plans), I'm pooped. So I went to bed (near midnight again) and slept until 10. I had to get up once around 6:30 and then was in and out after that, but it was so nice not to get out of bed for that long. Then I got up, got dressed, and made some pancake syrup and pancakes while getting stuff ready for Greek Chicken in the crockpot. Yum! I just wish I had a better crockpot. It had a reliable brand name on the box but after we got it home and opened it, the name didn't appear anywhere else. I saw what looked like a much better one at my favorite appliance store here a few weeks ago, when I went to get DH's juicer for his b-day, so I'm thinking after we pay everything for the visa, civil ID, etc. for the new nanny/maid, I just might have to go buy it. Anyway, this one works, but it tends to cook hotter and I just don't feel safe leaving the house with it one, like I would with my better one back home.

Well, I thought of a really good topic for a post this morning but it's mostly gone now. I'll have to try to remember what I was thinking about and try to recreate it. I knew I needed to work it out before blogging about it anyway. And with a nice 5-day holiday I should be able to do that just fine. :)

BTW, I had to edit this post because I pulled a "Kuwaiti". I spelled salon as saloon. You rarely see a sign for a salon with the word spelled correctly. I like to say that for a country that doesn't allow alcohol they sure have a lot of saloons. LOL



3 comments:

david santos said...

Hello, Beth!
Thanks for your posting and have a good weekend

RPW said...

Beth,

We lived in an Armenian neighborhood in Pasadena, CA...and the salon there made the same mistake!!!

:)

Rita Loca said...

Could you post the crock pot recipe?