Saturday, February 7, 2009

Happy Birthday, Baba!














































































































































































Today we went out to our favorite restaurant to celebrate Baba's birthday. It was just a tad windy. Those umbrellas in the top picture? When a good gust of wind came up at least one umbrella would tip over and blow across the restaurant. So when you felt the wind pick up, time to look up and get ready to catch an umbrella. The Boss was in charge of pictures today and he did a really good job, didn't he? Are you hungry yet?

4 comments:

Stacy McDonald said...

Oh, how fun! Everything looks so yummy! We make the persian bread you have pictured above, but without access to a fancy clay oven, it's not quite the same. There was a Persian restaurant we loved in Houston that had an oven like this and their bread was fantastic. They served it as an appetizer with chunks of feta, radishes, onions, fresh basil, parsley, and mint. It was so good!

Do you happen to know how to make koobideh? We tried to make it last week and I couldn't get it to stick to the skewers. I even added extra egg, but it just fell off in clumps before it made it to the grill (yes, we grilled in 30 degree weather!). I do have the nice flat skewers that are needed, but I just couldn't get it to hold together. We finally gave up on the skewers and just grilled it in long, flat patties. It was still yummy, but if you know how to make it stick, I would be thrilled to know your secret!

Stacy McDonald said...

Hello - Thanks for writing back on my blog, but I thought I'd answer here so it wouldn't be so confusing.

I think maybe Koobideh and Kafta are the same thing. The guy that owned the restaurant in Houston was from Iran, so that may be the differece.

It's ground beef or lamb mixed with pureed onion, salt, pepper, turmeric, sumac, lemon juice, egg, and bread crumbs (I also added garlic). Then it's wrapped around skewers and grilled. My problem is that I can't get it to hold together on the skewers. The weight of the meat makes it just fall apart like mush. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

It is really good served with flat bread, shirazi salad, and saffron rice. I would love to see some of your recipes!

Thursday's Child said...

I'm thinking they're similar. Kafta has onion, s&p, parsley. I don't have a recipe that calls for bread crumbs. It's probably an Iranian version of Kafta. Sorry, I don't have a recipe for that. Sometime I'll post the Kafta recipe though in case you want to try that.

Stacy McDonald said...

Oh yes - I'd like to try it. I forgot the parsley, and I also added mint.

Have you grilled Kafta on a skewer? Did you have any trouble with it falling apart?