Thursday, February 26, 2009

One of the disadvantages of being a veiled woman


A few years ago I began teaching here in Kuwait. Many of the students have mothers who are veiled. I only see their faces during parent-teacher conferences since there are no men present.

My friend made the comment to me that she wondered how the kids all seemed to know which veiled woman was their mother. Now not all women wear the same loose, flowing abeya. Some are very fashionable with beautiful decoration and that would be recognizable, or perhaps the purse she carries, etc. But I think it must be the eyes, the way of walking/standing. How a woman carries herself, covered or not, can say a lot about who she is.

I have a friend who covers. She's the pharmacist at the clinic where the kids and I go whenever we catch the Kuwaiti crud or have ear infections, etc. (BTW, if any of you need any children's Panadol, just let me know. Every time we go they automatically prescribe some. I could open my own pharmacy with that stuff alone.) I've been tutoring her boys. We've been friendly a while, always chatting. She's the one I mentioned a few weeks ago that got the kids in to see the dentist when I left a couple of IDs at home. I finally got to see what she looks like. And she's as cute as I thought she was. I'll have to tell you about her boys sometimes. They're antsy, they bicker, they get us off the subject constantly, and I love 'em to pieces. I have a blast over there.

Anyway, I'm sure there are distinct disadvantages to being a veiled woman. Not the least of which is this. I can honestly say I've never heard of something like this happening before.

She’s mine… she’s mine; Fisticuffs in row over ‘veiled’ wives


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm Kuwaiti and i think the whole ninja black cover veil is disgusting and so backwards. I mean its not even permitted in Islam, when women go to hajj they are required to take off the cover, they cant wear it.
I'm not religious, but i do believe every person has all the right to practise there faith, but to me i see it as a security matter. you don't know the person you're talking to.

Thursday's Child said...

I have a good friend who's a Muslim from Egypt. You should hear her go off on the whole idea of covering. She herself only wears hijab.

As for me, I see it the same way as I see Christian women who decide to wear head coverings. It's a heart issue.

If the woman truly wants to cover, then good for her. But only if it's HER decision, and not the decision of her husband or father. But she should also have the understanding that it's not required by her religion and no one who's opinion matters will care if she changes her mind at some point.

But for IDs, driver's licenses, passports, common sense must be used for them to do any good. She should be photographed unveiled. (That's apparently an issue in the States from what I've heard recently.)

Anonymous said...

No, all the civil ID's and passports they are required to take it off, even in Saudi.

My mom used to tell me how in the 60's and 70's in Kuwait no one covered, all the girls wore sleevless and short skirts, in schools kids they used to make fun and tease those who cover. it's sad how much the Arab world changed in the past 30 years.

My family is your typical Liberal Muslim Kuwaiti family, most of the women in my extinded family are not covered, but some are. when my mom decided to cover her hair, she never discussed it with my dad. she just wore. She said i dont have to discuss it with him because its my decision and this has nothing to do with him.

Thursday's Child said...

I think I'd like your mom. ;)

I didn't realize they were required to be photographed for IDs uncovered.

I think there's some controversy in the States (not sure which states) where Muslim women are wanting to be photographed for their driver's licenses, etc. covered. I don't know much about it so I can't really post about it without checking it out further.

Thank you for commenting, Anonymous! I'm glad you came by for a visit.

Elephantschild said...

re: the Panadol. The things we could buy over the counter in West Africa... it was scary. We had to go thru more paperwork to get our malaria meds from the WHO office!

Anonymous said...

See, now.... When I saw the title of the post, I was expecting to see a woman trying to eat an ice cream cone. Shows where my brain is! :D

Thursday's Child said...

From what I've seen they seem to handle eating OK. Just lift the thing and eat. (I keep forgetting what it's called.)

If they're anything like me, they don't let something like that get in the way. ;)

Unknown said...

Joy's comment made me laugh!
Interesting story and peek into another culture!

Debbie Haughland Chan said...

I never thought of those disadvantages such women and those who know them would have. I'm sure the woman and men involved in the story you linked to didn't think so but I found the story very amusing. I love the picture too.