Today was parent-teacher conferences. I actually like these days. I have the chance to visit with my parents and have adult conversation. I have really good girls and enjoy telling their parents how much I like their daughters.
I have a few who are struggling but considering that they're in a class going (roughly) the pace of a 2nd grade class in the States in a language not their own, I'm so impressed. They're doing so much better than I would ever have done.
I just have one serious complaint about some ofmy parents (OK, more like 2)...
1) They're obsessed with grades. They have to have the highest mark. Not all of them but several are obsessed with As. Receiving a B is not good enough. Don't they realize that a B is a very good grade? For crying out loud, their daughters are working in a foreign language at grade level and making a B. Don't they realize what a great accomplishment that is? No, they don't. They just don't get it.
2) "Why, miss?" This is the lament of one mom in particular (my TA does a really good impression of her...unfortunately when I'm in the middle of a really big gulp of water). They can not get it into their heads that I don't *give* them grades. They do the work, I grade it, I enter it in the computer, and the computer spits out the grade. They get exactly what they earn. Period. Their grades have no connection at all to whether I like them (and I happen to love all of them to pieces).
{sigh}
I was asked tonight by the principal if I'd be willing to teach an upper grade next year...girls. I said that if I was going to move up in grade level I wanted to stick with girls. I told her that I would kill the boys...and, believe me, I would. They are the most horrible bunch of kids I've ever seen. But while I love my 2nd grade girls, I do admit I look forward to the challenge. The upper grades have smaller classes but they're trying to do higher grade level work with not much more English exposure than some of my 2nd graders. There are times I really feel like my job is too easy. (Watch me eat those words shortly.)
Well, I'm all set to enjoy a week off. I'm going to milk it for all it's worth.
Oh, and the best part, the Boss will be confirmed on Sunday night and take his first communion. OK, the confirmation class seemed to be more what I would call first communion instruction but by the time we are living back in the States he'll be ready for confirmation at our home church. I'm also going through the Small Catechism with him. He's so excited...and the Peanuts will have even more reason to be upset about communion. The Boss will be taking communion and they'll be getting a blessing. It should be real interesting.
2 comments:
That's wonderful news about the Boss! Are you all mushy about it? I got all weepy when my kids got communion for the first time. And good for you to go through the catechism with him. Can't get enough of that
Enjoy your week off!
Yay for Summer break!
I really hate it when parents aren't happy with a B. For goodness sakes get a grip!!!
The girls sound like a great group! The boys sound... boo! I would not want to teach them either.
Very cool news about the Boss! Good for him!
Post a Comment