When we made the move back to Lebanon the plan was to stay here until the Boss graduates high school and then we'd all move back to the States. The Boss for college and the rest of us to be near him. When Baba made the decision a couple of weeks ago that we were moving back this summer, I was a bit disappointed. I'd gotten myself psyched to live here a while.
However, it will be better in so many ways. We can finally be back in a Lutheran church, for one thing. Yeah! But lately I've been remembering all the things I missed when we first left 5 years ago and just got kind of used to not having.
I realized the other day that I'll have a library again. Yes! There's a public library in Bikfaya. It's a nice little one, but most of the books are in Arabic and French. There is a selection in English but we started visiting it around the time I got my Kindle so I didn't take advantage of it. I've gotten out of the habit of thinking "I need to check that out from the library" when I hear of a good book. But, once we're back, I can look for all these great books that various friends online will mention.
In fact, as you may have noticed on my sidebar, I belong to Goodreads and I'm starting to save my newsletters and updates from different friends. I have a lot of catching up to do. I also plan to get library cards for the Peanuts. They're reading now and we can take advantage of the leveled readers for them to check out. The Boss is excited to have a library again. We enjoy checking out DVDs there and he's already planning on checking out all the Animorphs DVDs.
I brought all my grandmother's knitting needles with me and they're going back with me too (along with my cross stitch supplies). I've been able to find yarns fairly close to what's required when I make up items from Lion Brand, but several of my patterns are for yarns from LB that I can't find similar ones for over here. It'll be nice to have stores nearby that have the yarns I want for these patterns.
I won't have to worry about water and electricity! I can do whatever laundry needs to be done, whenever it needs to be done, without checking to make sure there's water in a tank and we're not on generator. Actually I can usually do a load on cold during the day when the generator isn't being to taxed, but sometimes I have use hot water and that won't work on generator. The clothesline is gone. I'm hoping that Baba can get a new one put up for me while he's there. It will be so good for the electric bill.
I've gotten used to washing the dishes by hand. But I do miss a dishwasher. We have a ton of dishes back home. There's the set Mom got us for Christmas a few years ago as well as a set from Grandma. It's so nice to just rinse dishes after a meal and putting them in the dishwasher to be done after supper. Let them airdry all night and just put away in the morning. I hadn't missed it the whole time I lived here but it's something I'm looking forward to lately. Go figure!
There are plenty of things here that I'll miss once I'm there. But I think I'll get over them.
No comments:
Post a Comment