Sunday, July 31, 2011

Torn

I can't go into too much detail, but we've been living on a very tight budget the last year. Not because money is tight, just wanting to sock away as much savings as possible for...what I can't go into much detail about. {Now, wasn't that as clear as mud?} So I've put myself on a tight budget and I manage to stick to it. There are, of course, the unexpected expenses, but we've chosen this budget so we do have the freedom to either pay for things out of that savings or to set aside for things, depending upon the situation.

A few months ago I started couponing. I enjoy it. It's fun. However, it's something I do every Sunday afternoon/evening. I'd really rather just relax and enjoy the time playing with the kids, reading, needlework, etc. However, I can really save some money and stock up on things we'll run out of anyway.

Lately I've been reading some blogs and chatting with some friends on a small discussion board about buying less, making things myself, and trying not to purchase anything new if I can avoid it. It gets me to thinking.

With the exception of today (there were a LOT of great coupons in today's paper) I usually throw away more coupons than I keep. I only cut coupons for hygiene, paper, batteries, and other non-food items that we tend to find necessary. I cut very few food coupons and they usually expire. I prefer to buy as much fresh as I can. I'll buy frozen if it's a deal, especially if there's a dish I have in mind and I'm not sure I'll make it soon enough to buy fresh. I check out the grocery ads to make the bulk of my list. This week the things I'm out of was pretty short but one of my ads had great prices on chicken, ground chuck, etc. so I'll be stocking up there.

I also check out a certain major pharmacy chain that, while more expensive the a certain supercenter, has great deals in its ad every week. It's just a matter of matching the deals with coupons with what I need.

So, for tomorrow I have two lists. My grocery list and my major pharmacy list. I need to check the list again tomorrow to narrow things down, but mostly it's stuff that I'll decide on after I see how much stocking up on groceries sets me back. Start with the stuff I do actually need and go from there.

However, after reading The Non-Consumer Advocate, I'm wondering. How much do I really need to buy? Obviously, groceries. But of the other stuff?

I already avoid buying new clothes. The Boss is a growing boy. He's in men's sizes in clothes and shoes. And he's still growing. It doesn't make sense to spend the money on new clothes when he's going to outgrow them at some point. So I like to check out Goodwill and a great resale store here called Plato's Closet. Prices are pretty similar and it's easier to shop for sizes at the latter. Goodwill is only good if you're not in a hurry, frankly. Or if you don't need to look for things in a certain size. You can find some really great stuff there though if you have time and are in the mood. I shop there and at Clothes Mentor, next door to Plato's Closet and owned by the same people. My new favorite store. There are a few resale shops for the Peanuts but they're still wearing clothes from Lebanon, Kuwait, cousins in Lebanon, and cousins here. I buy them shoes new. The supercenter has them cheap enough I can buy new pretty much guilt-free, and of course the underwear...for all of us. LOL

Right now I'm stocked up on detergent and fabric softener. I normally use about half of what it calls for anyway, so it'll take me quite a while to use that up. When I'm done, I can try a homemade version and see how I like it. I might wait until I'm ready to open my last bottle so that if it just doesn't clean to my satisfaction I have a whole bottle to find deals for more.

I've heard bad things about fluoride. Do I listen to the harbingers of doom and switch to baking soda or do I keep on stocking up as I find sales/coupons? Hmmm. As far as Kleenex, do I only keep a few on hand for serious colds/allergies and sew up some hankies? Or just stick with the disposables? I don't use paper towels for much except cleaning messes that I don't want to use rags on (dog messes and other nasty things) and for catching bacon grease. So I go through them pretty slowly. So I'll probably not change anything there.

Do I keep a lookout for glass cleaner since I have coupons or try making my own? I want to save money but I want to be able to see myself in the mirror (not really, but it's the only way to get the make-up on straight and fix my hair) and out the windows. Again, I can try the next time I run out and go buy more if I'm not happy.

I have a huge list made up. The groceries are mostly non-negotiable but the rest kind of is. Just need to double check item by item.

What are your thoughts? Is trying to be a non-consumer compatible with sale ads and coupons? Link

No comments: