Then I went upstairs to the street to flip the switch for the generator. The man who owns the generator turns it on but sometimes our switch flips off. Usually when we have something turned on that's too much for it but sometimes just for the heck of it. Today was pretty much just for the heck of it.
I went upstairs and heard that strange bubbling sound but much louder. The two drains over my neighbor's terrace were bubbling over. When I looked out into the street I couldn't see it. I could only see the water flowing down the street. Oh, and the thunder and lightning have been setting off car alarms right and left. Makes for a few laughs.
Since the streets were flooding we decided that we didn't need to get the Boss to taekwondo that badly. Good thing. While we were watching our favorite TV series about a teenager who grows up and leaves his small Kansas town to be a superhero the generator flipped off...for the heck of it. So I waded, literally, to the switch and when I went to the bedroom to put on dry socks I heard water dripping. The leak in the ceiling is back, even though it was waterproofed this spring, and I got a couple of buckets. But I noticed that there was a lot of water near the door (I have a door instead of a window that goes onto a smaller terrace in the garden). It must have been leaking longer than I thought. But as I tried to mop it up there just seemed to be more and more. Turns out it was coming under the door from the little terrace. Wonderful!
I called the Big Prince (yes, I know...I still need a new moniker for him) and he brought over his shop vac. We also borrowed a pick from the neighbor. The dirt is higher than the terrace next to my door. That's why the water is coming under my door instead of flowing out into the garden. The Big Prince, who was dressed very nice from being at work all day, went out in the rain and moved some dirt to help it drain. There's still some water on the floor but once we're off generator I'll take the shop vac to it.
So now we're back in front of the TV, enjoying a pretty good connection now, and hoping the car alarm thunder stays away for a while.
So, how's your day going?
No comments:
Post a Comment