or I'm stuck washing dishes by hand a few more days. And forking over money for a new dishwasher. Not that I'd mind having a new one. Preferably one under 50 decibels. It's right next to the door leading to the family room where we watch TV and there's no way to close it off. However, with a wonderful thing known as closed captioning I can watch TV without having it turned so loud the kids are kept awake. So in a couple of hours the repair guy is supposed to be here to fix it...again. He fixed it back in June and according to the receipt it seems that it's the same problem.
Last night we finally got our storms. Of course it was in the middle of the night. The wind blew all day and on the way home from Bible study/grocery shopping I was shimmying along I-44. On the 10:00 news last night the meteorologist warned people to be careful if driving there since they could get blown into the other lanes. No kidding! I could only imagine how much worse it was by that time. A couple of hours after going to sleep I was awakened by the storm. I now have my grandfathers old radio alarm clock (works much better than the new one I bought a few weeks ago-go figure) so I turned it on for the report. Our storm warning was set to expire in 15 minutes and before that it quieted down. I also figured since Mom hadn't called (they have a weather radio) we were fine. I really do need to check into one of those since we're out of ear shot for sirens.
I've also found some recipes for muffins that look like great options for school lunches. One is for Corn Dog Muffins. I haven't tried them yet, so please don't get mad if they flop for you.
2 (8.5 oz.) packages cornbread mix
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
4 hot dogs, chopped into pieces
Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease muffin tins.
Stir together the cornbread mix and the brown sugar in a large bowl. Whisk the eggs and milk in a small bowl until smooth. Fold the eggs and cheese into the dry mixture until moistened. Spoon the mixture into muffin tins until 2/3 full. Add 1 hot dog half to each muffin.
Bake in a preheated oven 14 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown.
I don't normally buy the mix so I don't have any. I'm going to try this by adding brown sugar to a regular corn bread recipe. I'm wondering, though, since it calls for two boxes of mix, if I should double my recipe?
The other recipe is for Mystery Chef Muffins. I have no idea where this recipe came from...it was entered into my recipe program before I noticed that I could include a source for it.
The basic recipe is this:
1 1/2 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
4 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. shortening
2/3 cups cold water
Mix together dry ingredients. Add in shortening with fingers until crumbly, add water - it will be wet and sticky. Drop by BIG spoonfuls into a muffin pan. Fill the sections about 3/4 full. Bake at 450 F for 15 minutes and golden brown on top. Top is crunchy.
Alternative 1:
Add 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1/2 cup shredded cheese, and 1 tsp. basil. Drop in mountains on cookie sheet.
Alternative 2:
Add 1 tsp. baking soda and replace water with milk. Pat out on floured surface and cut with water glass to make biscuits.
Alternative 3:
Add 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda, replace 1/3 cup of water with milk, and drop onto boiling chicken and veggies for dumplings.
Alternative 4: Add 1 Tbsp olive oil, 2 Tbsp. yeast dissolved in the 1/3 cup warm water, and add 1/2 cup flour. Roll out for pizza dough.
I like alternative 1 as an option for school. The the 3rd option looks good as well. For pizza dough and biscuits I have other recipes that I like better. But they look like good ideas to have on hand for school lunches.
Off to tidy up so the repair guy doesn't think my house always looks this way.
No comments:
Post a Comment