Friday, October 29, 2010

The shock!


This week the kids and I started taekwondo. The Boss has done it since he was about 7. He had a 2 year gap the first 2 years overseas but has kept at it since then. The Peanuts would participate a bit in the class in Kuwait, more as mascots for the class, but they still learned a bit. They tried it in Lebanon but they just weren't ready for it. This year the 4 of us are participating. I'm amazed by what I still remember since I took it for a few months about 20 years ago. I gave it up due to a retail work schedule that made my attendance erratic and my progress...well, erratic too.

This week I started up again and the Peanuts LOVE having me in class with them. We even got to "spar" a bit together last night. Thursdays the Boss is in the same class with us since it's the mixed belt class.

After class was over we did about 5 minutes of crunches. Man, that was good! I hope we do them pretty frequently. Then it was time to put on our shoes and socks and coats and run to the nice, cold truck. The Little Prince and the Diva were running around in circles on the mat and had to be told a couple of times to come and put their shoes on. Well, make that the Little Prince had to be told a couple of times before he came to put on his shoes and socks. The Diva was still running around in circles. The instructor overheard her and and said, "{Diva}, I want you to come and give me 15 push ups. You're not listening to your mother and that's unacceptable."

You could have knocked down that little girl with a feather! At first she just stood there because she wasn't sure the instructor was serious. When the Diva realized that she was, the look on her face was PRICELESS! And she did the push ups.

Tonight the other instructor, last night's husband, will be teaching the classes. He's a very nice, quiet gentleman who happens to be very tall. I'm curious to see if the Diva will be a bit quicker to mind tonight.

2 comments:

Jen said...

That is so fun your going too, what a fun thing for you all to do together! when I was little my dad and was taking classes he would come home and teach us and we would have fun nights of learning and working on our punches and kicks.. it was nice.. So its cool you can have fun with the kids and helps keep ya in shape ;)

Debbie Haughland Chan said...

I love the story! What a good instructor to reinforce the need for his students to obey their parents!