Friday, June 3, 2011

Modern day Antigone


Haleh Sahabi: Our Antigone in Tehran

Another example of the respect shown to women. When I read this I had to wonder at their motives. Of course, she is a dissenter, like her father before her. They did advocate for human rights, which Islam violently opposes in all forms. The author's description of her as a "distinguished Quranic hermeneutician" caught my eye. Most of the Muslims I've come into contact with as a teacher believe in education and want their children, sons and daughters, to succeed academically. I've known many professionla women who are also conservative, devout Muslims. However, Islam doesn't seem to care much for women who are too well-educated in Islamic theology. A woman who actually studies theology could be a threat to the powers that be...namely the men who view them as their property and wish to maintain the status quo.

2 comments:

Shan said...

Have you ever read anything by Irshad Manji? I haven't, she used to be television personality here but she is Muslim and a lesbian so obviously there is a fatwa on her. But she's written about this stuff, women and Islam and of course been criticised for it.

Thursday's Child said...

No, I haven't. I have several books waiting to be read as well as a couple on their way to my library. The library is much more efficient than I am. ;)