Wednesday, June 8, 2011

My addiction


About a year ago, after a lifetime of abstaining due to not being able to stand the taste, I began a love affair with coffee. It started off with Nescafe mixed with creamer and sugar. (That was the trick...I'd always tried it black before...blech!) Then I actually began not only drinking Turkish coffee with family but to make it myself at home (though with almost as much sugar as coffee). I don't make it here because I don't have the right kind of coffee. The one time I stopped by the shop to get some they were out and I haven't made it back yet.

For Christmas Baba gave me the lovely machine you see above. I had heard of them and my brother gave my SIL one and she'd fixed me a cup before, but I thought it would be a waste of money since the K-cups were more expensive. However Baba insisted and who am I to argue? Imagine my joy when I found with the machine a reusable filter that allowed me to use my own coffee...cool machine and still save money on the coffee.Yeah!

However when I first descaled it (after using for 3 months, per instructions) I started having problems. And the problems continued when I made coffee as well. I received good customer service and tried their advice. I now descale each month since we're on a well and have hard water. That was still only limited help since it still acts wonky now and then. So I switched to using only K-cups so I didn't have to worry about using coffee that was ground correctly to work in the reusable filter. Not a problem. However, it still acted wonky. {sigh}

Last week was the last time I descaled it and I had to call the company again. She walked me through the process of cleaning the needle (not included in the manual-they have to walk you through it the first time) and it worked beautifully the rest of the day. But still had trouble the next morning. I started flushing it with water before the first use of the day and that seemed to help a bit.

Between my first and second cups today I made 4 cups of tea so you would think that would be a good flushing...it still acted wonky on my second cup. So, I called the company again and they're sending me a replacement. A few days ago I joined the FB page for the company and there are a lot of people getting replacements so apparently the machines are pretty sensitive. Good to know with the new one.

Although I've had a hard time with this one I have to say I still recommend them. There are people on FB who love theirs and have never had a problem. There are those who have had them replaced a few times but still love them. The company has great customer service and a good warranty on their product so you have nothing to lose. Just be sure to register your machine. I don't usually bother to but it's essential in this case. I don't even have to send back the old one...just one small part of it that's required for using it. Much better when paying postage!

So, what do you want to bet that from now until I receive the replacement mine works perfectly?

2 comments:

Shan said...

Thanks for the post! I really only use mine to make tea (and rather than putting the tea bag in the filter I just put the bag in the cup and use it to heat the water) and the occasional cup of coffee, but lately the water level hasn't been right. Even on the highest level it only fills half the cup. I'll have to register mine and give them a call. I absolutely love my Keurig!

Thursday's Child said...

Yep, it's definitely the machine. They might walk you through cleaning the needle first but if that doesn't work they should offer to replace. Do you descale it regularly?

So far I'm impressed with the customer service and you also need to check out their page on FB. Whoever is responsible for the page does a good job of answering questions and responding to complaint posts.