You gotta love teenagers. It's either that or kill them. The student who "threatened" me a few weeks ago is now one of my favorites. He's now in a group that is out of the regular class, only about 5 of them, and they're rarely all there at the same time. He's like a completely different person now. He's so smart and really cares about doing a good job. I love this kid! I'm afraid they'll stick him back in the class though and he'll be back to the old one. But for now I intend to enjoy every minute I work with him. The other boy from the class that's in there with him is really growing on me too. He'll always speak out when he shouldn't but he's so sweet it's easy to overlook. He doesn't do it to disrupt or cause trouble. He just opens his mouth whenever something pops into his head but he does care a lot about doing his best. He's French-educated so his English isn't at the level of others his age in this school but he's sure working hard at it. I love him too!
There are some boys in another class of mine who decided they would show me yesterday. They broke every rule they could think of very blatantly and very loudly. I knew they wanted to draw me into something so I just went about the business of the day and then wrote them up after class. Sometimes it's best to let them just make fools out of themselves, KWIM? I figured they could just get a hard, cold reality check. They got one. I saw the mouthier one in the office later, all agitated and arms waving. Today they were much better. I think one of them actually did the work today. They were still their squirrely selves but I think they got the point.
Another boy went completely brain-dead today and had his Blackberry out during class. He knows that if he uses it any time or anywhere other outside at break (NOT inside during break) he will have it taken away for the rest of the year. He pitched a fit and refused to return to class later in the day. What exactly he thought that would get him I'm not real sure. But I sure hope it was worth it.
It was open house at the kids' school for the Boss's section. I got to meet the teachers and follow his schedule, more or less. It changes from day to day. Found out that they're not allowed to teach the country's history after 1975. OK, let's just keep the peace by ignoring a huge civil war and the problems it's still causing today. Yes, the kids will grow up able to learn from their grandparents' mistakes, right?
Then I got home and tried to iron. It kept knocking off the generator. Oh, well, I didn't really want to iron that badly anyway.
The Boss has a Math test Friday and forgot his book. He went online to the website and did the practice quizzes and chapter test. He's making silly mistakes but when he took the longer practice he didn't do too badly. It's integers, which even I can do, so he'd better do well on this test since he's much better at Math than his mom is.
Tomorrow's Thursday and I'll head down to do the big grocery shopping. I couldn't get chicken Saturday (well, I could but only breasts or wings or whole birds). The kids prefer legs/thighs and so I wanted them for what I had in mind. That's the bad thing about Saturdays...they have promotions out the whazoo and it's way too crowded. I prefer Thursdays since they still seem to have some good deals and the crowd isn't nearly so bad. I can actually get to the meat counter within 5 minutes. {sigh}
I did a decent job of Flying this week. I worked in the Peanuts' room on Monday and cleaned the bathrooms today. I'd do better if vacuuming wasn't such a chore. When you have only straight suction to try to clean dog and cat hair (you remember that the Explorer's a Persian, right?) it's just too much work to do on a daily basis, no matter how bad it needs it. I'm hoping to do something about that soon.
Well, that's about it for now. Hopefully my Flying this week will have the desired effect on my weekly Home Blessing Hour and I'll be able to enjoy my Saturday. Wouldn't that be nice?
2 comments:
I admire you for being able to cope; those boys would have me tied up in the corner and lit on fire! I've never been good at handling other peoples' children, like in Sunday School, and avoid it at all costs!
A special broom with many rows of rubber bristles works well on carpets for pet hair. Don't know if you can get one there, though.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to try to find one. But I still want a new vacuum. ;)
Post a Comment