Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sure this was Wednesday?

Today has got to be one of the longest days since I've been here. Even longer than some of the days I had while teaching.

After dropping the kids off at school, I came home to meet my student. She sent me an sms saying that she still wasn't feeling well and would see me tomorrow. So, since I was planning to go for my mammogram after she left, I went ahead and got in early. Not the high point of my day, but uneventful anyway.

When I got back home, I stopped to get something to eat. I saw the guy there who comes to collect money for the electric bill. I haven't seen him since last fall. He doesn't come regularly and doesn't leave me notes on the door or anything. A couple of weeks ago he came while the Boss was home sick and I had run to the store. He said he'd come back later but never did. I figured that meant that I'd see him today when he came with the bill.

I get home and there's no power. He'd turned it off. He'd flipped the switch in the basement and tied it with wire. I went to the office to pay the bill (the note he'd left taped to the breaker had the amount on it...a whopping $30.67) and complain about him. I haven't seen him since fall, he came once and told my son he'd return and didn't. He never leaves a note on my door saying that he was here and when he'll be back.

I asked when it would be on and the man there said if not today, maybe tomorrow. I told him it had to be today. He had no business shutting it off since he's the one who doesn't come and doesn't leave a note and doesn't return when he says he will. He tried to call him but no answer. I asked if I could cut the darn thing off myself and he said, "Sure!" So I did.

But the day looked up later. After cleaning the bathrooms and kitchen (always the high point of my week) I went to get the Diva some new jeans. Both of hers have holes in the knees. So I went to get some, found them right off the bat. The price was OK, but got better when I got to the register...half of what the tag said. Whoohoo!

After school we had an appointment in the city, which went well. Then we came back up and had supper at one of our favorite places. Really good schawarma for the Little Prince and me; really good hamburgers for the Diva and the Boss.

It's now after midnight, so it's now Thursday. Darn science tests! I just hope tomorrow's better.

No comments: