
I wrote Friday that we missed church due to the twins having the crud and the Little Prince having a slight fever. The Boss having exams this week didn't help either. Then the next day we had company for dinner. (See pics below.)
Well...Saturday morning, long before I got the heads up about dinner, I took the twins to the clinic. I have to say I like the way they do (some) things here. For the bargain price of 1 dinar ($3.50) you go to the clinic, see a doctor, and get any meds, tests, etc. you need. So if you have kids and you pretty much know what they have and what you need, it's a great deal. I've been there numerous times myself. Some of the doctors...you feel like you wasted your time for all the help they are. Other doctores...I smile when I see them. It's always the luck of the draw (or maybe how good an impression you make on the person you check in with).
So Saturday morning the doctor kept reminding me that weekend hours are just for emergencies. We've been there DOZENS of times on the weekend and have never had anyone act like they couldn't figure out why we weren't just waiting until Sunday or later. Other than that she was nice, but just preoccupied with reminding us of this. {sigh} She looked in the Prince's ears and the right one looked fine but she couldn't see in his left one. She couldn't tell if it was wax or a foreign object. She said to come back "when it wasn't the weekend" so one of the other doctors could look at it.
We went back last night because he still had a bit of fever and I did need to check on that possible foreign object in his ear. The doctor looked in and said that there was something there and it looked hard. She thought it was something stuck in there. So she wrote up a referral for me to take him to the hospital.
We go to the hospital and the doctor is very nice and looks in. No problems so far. Just sees it and grabs this little "gun" that blows air through a tube. He uses it on the Prince's arm and he's cool with that so he uses it on his ear. He holds still but it doesn't work. So he uses something else to try to loosen it. Big mistake. The Prince refuses to cooperate after that. He will not let him use anything else. Until another doctor comes in and suggests irrigating it. He grabs a similar looking "gun" that shoots out a small stream of water. The Prince is cool with it after it's demonstrated on his arm. Unfortunately it wasn't enough pressure to do the job. So he tries a syringe. For some reason the Prince refuses to allow it. With me holding his arms, the nurse holding his head, and the Boss holding his feet, the doctor still can't get to his ear. (Y'all do remember he's half Lebanese, right?)
So after a while we have Baba on the phone. Now I was offering anything I could think of...Skittles, ice cream, sleeping with us tonight, ... It didn't work. I don't know what Baba said to him (and it took a while to say it too) but he finally, begrudgingly, let the doctor do it. He ended up not minding it too much. I mean, I don't think I'd be as still with someone shooting a syringe full of water into my ear, but he did great.
The offending little object came out after being squirted at a few times and we couldn't quite tell what it was. Now, when I'd asked him earlier if he'd put something in his ear and what it was, he said, "Food." That helped a lot. The closest thing we could up with is cereal. You know, the something Smacks? With the frog on the box? I can't remember the last time it was in the house!
We asked him later if he was ever going to put anything in his ear again. He said, "No." Good answer. (I can believe him, right?)
Well...Saturday morning, long before I got the heads up about dinner, I took the twins to the clinic. I have to say I like the way they do (some) things here. For the bargain price of 1 dinar ($3.50) you go to the clinic, see a doctor, and get any meds, tests, etc. you need. So if you have kids and you pretty much know what they have and what you need, it's a great deal. I've been there numerous times myself. Some of the doctors...you feel like you wasted your time for all the help they are. Other doctores...I smile when I see them. It's always the luck of the draw (or maybe how good an impression you make on the person you check in with).
So Saturday morning the doctor kept reminding me that weekend hours are just for emergencies. We've been there DOZENS of times on the weekend and have never had anyone act like they couldn't figure out why we weren't just waiting until Sunday or later. Other than that she was nice, but just preoccupied with reminding us of this. {sigh} She looked in the Prince's ears and the right one looked fine but she couldn't see in his left one. She couldn't tell if it was wax or a foreign object. She said to come back "when it wasn't the weekend" so one of the other doctors could look at it.
We went back last night because he still had a bit of fever and I did need to check on that possible foreign object in his ear. The doctor looked in and said that there was something there and it looked hard. She thought it was something stuck in there. So she wrote up a referral for me to take him to the hospital.
We go to the hospital and the doctor is very nice and looks in. No problems so far. Just sees it and grabs this little "gun" that blows air through a tube. He uses it on the Prince's arm and he's cool with that so he uses it on his ear. He holds still but it doesn't work. So he uses something else to try to loosen it. Big mistake. The Prince refuses to cooperate after that. He will not let him use anything else. Until another doctor comes in and suggests irrigating it. He grabs a similar looking "gun" that shoots out a small stream of water. The Prince is cool with it after it's demonstrated on his arm. Unfortunately it wasn't enough pressure to do the job. So he tries a syringe. For some reason the Prince refuses to allow it. With me holding his arms, the nurse holding his head, and the Boss holding his feet, the doctor still can't get to his ear. (Y'all do remember he's half Lebanese, right?)
So after a while we have Baba on the phone. Now I was offering anything I could think of...Skittles, ice cream, sleeping with us tonight, ... It didn't work. I don't know what Baba said to him (and it took a while to say it too) but he finally, begrudgingly, let the doctor do it. He ended up not minding it too much. I mean, I don't think I'd be as still with someone shooting a syringe full of water into my ear, but he did great.
The offending little object came out after being squirted at a few times and we couldn't quite tell what it was. Now, when I'd asked him earlier if he'd put something in his ear and what it was, he said, "Food." That helped a lot. The closest thing we could up with is cereal. You know, the something Smacks? With the frog on the box? I can't remember the last time it was in the house!
We asked him later if he was ever going to put anything in his ear again. He said, "No." Good answer. (I can believe him, right?)
1 comment:
Oh ow! I am glad they got whatever it was (cereal? what the...) out of his ear. What a fun day...
Banff is 1 hour and 45 minutes away. Soon to be 45 minutes away when we move at the end of the year :o)
Post a Comment