



Here are some more pics of the sandstorm a week ago today. It was the most bizarre thing but so cool. I was almost disappointed that it had gone back to just being dusty by the time I left. But I suppose that was a good thing. LOL
Last Thursday a new law went into effect making it illegal to talk on the cell phone while driving. Not so different from laws in parts of the United States. The problem is that while they do a decent job of enforcing the law when it's violated by expats, they really drop the ball on locals.
In news reports they talk about the high accident and death rates on the roads here and blame them on expats. Yes, expats who don't respect the rules of the road back home aren't going to be more likely to respect them here. They'll probably be even worse. That's a given. However, it's the locals who are more likely to run you off the road. They cut in, they zigzag across 4 lanes of traffic on the highways in their sports cars and SUVs. If you're in their way, they'll change lanes anyway. The day before yesterday a woman in an SUV tried to do that to me. I laid on my horn and her shock that I didn't just slam on my breaks and let her in was obvious on her face. If you're in the fast, inside lane, trying to pass someone, and a local comes up behind you, flashing his lights at you, and you don't pull over immediately, he'll either ride your bumper or pass you on the shoulder. (I'm waiting for them to do it in front of a camera. Although nothing would happen to him.)
When they have wrecks over here, they're not fender benders. At least half of the car will look like wadded up aluminum foil. It's common for the cars to catch fire and burn. It's all do to the speed at which they drive and their arrogance behind the wheel. (I'm not saying that expats are never to blame for crashes...but it's mostly the locals.)
So when they passed this new law I figured it wouldn't have much effect on them. You have to remember that these are people who have their babies in the front seat with no belt on. Kids hanging out the windows, etc. They drive as if they're the only cars on the road. So would they take the cell phone law seriously? Probably not.
Well, yesterday my neighbor at school told me she'd seen a local pulled over to the side of the road. He and the police officer were standing there with a cell phone trying to figure out how to do the hands-free device. LOL Well, there was one police officer willing to pull a local over.
Usually when I go out and about I see westerners with the hands-free devices. I rarely will see a local unless he's trying to look cool. Last night I went grocery shopping. I've never seen so many local men in dishdashes and hands-free devices. They're taking this law seriously...at least the few I saw last night. They have posters up in Arabic telling people about the new law. They've said they're going to be strict about enforcing it. Could it actually be they're going to enforce it with the locals too?! Hallelujah! Of course, to really make the roads safe, they'll have to actually teach them how to drive.
2 comments:
The pics are simply amazing!
Wow I would not know what to do with that type of driving. I live in an area where there aren't many people let alone enough to drive crazy. Thank God for that police officer trying tot do the right thing.
Post a Comment