Monday, July 21, 2008

A great time was had by all!

Saturday night, Aunt and I went to a wedding. He's Baba's grandmother's sister's grandson. (Did you get all that?) The ceremony was in a beautiful Catholic church not far from where the kids take taekwondo. The reception was at a country club not far from there, but it involved driving down a curving road on the side of the mountain. {gulp}

The setting was outside in the pool area. We found our table and waited for the festivities to begin by munching on hummus, baba ghanouj, stuffed grape leaves, and other yummy meza items.

Then we heard this loud music. Dancers dressed in the traditional Phoenician way came out. Some danced, some breathed fire. A group of men escorted the groom down the stairs from the building to the dance floor.




Then giant sparklers went off by the steps in the garden. The bride was escorted in by the women in the dance troupe. They led her to the groom on the dance floor.























One thing I love about Middle Eastern music is that people of all ages love it and dance to it. The girl in the white dress is 15...the man to the left, swinging the cane, is probably in his 70's or 80's. How often do you see THAT?

7 comments:

Nicole said...

That sounds like such a great wedding to go to! How awesome for you to get to go! I would love that!

By the way, I love how you change your photos so that we can still see what happened, but you don't have to worry about people getting upset with you for posting their pictures. I am assuming that is why you do that.

Thursday's Child said...

Yep, you found me out. ;)

RPW said...

Actually, we had that at a friend's wedding a week ago, too (the kids and the elderly on the dance floor at the same time).

The B-52's just get to everybody ;)

a soldier's wife said...

What a wonderful experience! and great pictures. I loved seeing and hearing about it.

Nicole said...

You're smart! It's a very good idea because you can still show your pictures and not show the people's faces :o)

AnneK said...

Hi Beth, Sorry I haven't commented in a while. Been traveling most of last week. I read the above comments and want to know what did you actually do with the pix? A software maybe?

That sounds like a great wedding!

Thursday's Child said...

On my computer I have a program called ACDSee Pro. It has different things you can do to your pics. I can choose effects for them and this is one of them. It's called "oil paint". You can see what you want to see but it's "messed up" enough to not be able to identify people...though people who know us could spot us easily enough.

I really like it.