Thursday, July 10, 2008

A tour of our house





Michelle, at My Life and Ponderings, wanted to see pics of our home here in Lebanon. When we moved here 3 years ago, the main purpose of spending money on the house was to furnish it. However, that didn't leave me with much time or inclination to do anything much with decorating. But with 2 year-old twins, that was fine. Anything I wouldn't be dusting I'd be trying to keep of little hands. When we're finished with Kuwait, I'll put more energy and money into decorating this place. Until then, it satisfies.





Here's the living room. Typically Lebanese homes have huge rugs that are rolled up in the summer and used only during the winter to keep you warm. However, I preferred being able to sweep and mop rather than having to vacuum a lot. The smaller rugs I bought were easier to vacuum and I like them so much I leave them down all year. Besides to use the huge rugs you have to move heavy furniture. Yuck!







Here's the dining area. I had a gorgeous table and buffet picked out 3 years ago. Beautiful wood with marble tops. But FIL didn't like it so DH figured we it wouldn't work. Go figure! That's the last time I'm taking my FIL along on a shopping trip. So now we have a white plastic table with matching chairs. So much better, isn't it?








Here's the kitchen. That open counter was very handy when the twins were small and I needed to be able to watch them watching Dora while I was fixing supper. Now it's kind of a pain. When they're being naughty and stubborn and getting into something they shouldn't and I lock the kitchen door...they just climb over the counter. {sigh} The blue light to the left is the light that comes on when the power goes out. Very handy at night.








Master bedroom. The mattress lifts up to storage besides the 2 drawers at the foot. The door opens out to the garden. I generally close it at night even though there's a screen on the bars. A little lizard or other unwelcome things can still squeeze under it. {faint}











Here's my rather ugly garden. Since we're rarely here anymore, except during the summer, it's rather pointless to do much with it. We just make sure it's cleaned out in time for our summer visits so it's safe for the kids to play. Also, no watering. :)




Here is a pic of the Boss's room. He used to switch between the two bunks. Now that the twins have outgrown their Pack N Plays they sleep on the bottom, wider bunk (and occasionally the trundle that pulls out) and he sleeps on top.




Here's the twins' room. Right now it's pretty much a playroom for them. We're waiting to furnish it until we're finished with Kuwait. By then we'll know if it'll continue to be the twins' room or the Diva's room while the Little Prince shares with the Boss. Don't worry...it doesn't always look like this. This was taken after they rediscovered their toys when we arrived. It was like Christmas for them. They're actually doing a pretty good job of putting their toys away after playing with them. {You'll just have to take my word for it.}
Hope you enjoyed the tour!

5 comments:

Nicole said...

I just love the look of your place both inside and out! I have never even left Canada so it is neat to see your pictures Beth :o)

LOL about the dining room table. Too bad you didn't buy the one you wanted, but the white plastic one still does the job right?

AnneK said...

I loved the tour. I love seeing people's homes.

I had to laugh at your dining table story. Is your FIL enjoying the plastic table?

Thursday's Child said...

He doesn't even use it! He lives in another town! Ugh! But because he used to sell furniture decades ago, he's considered the "expert". {sigh}

Michelle said...

Thank you for the tour!!!!!

Rita Loca said...

It always amazes me how similar all places are once you leave the US. That could be a home in Venezuela, Mexico, or Paraguay.