Monday, August 4, 2008

It guess it just isn't newsworthy



Son of top Hamas official becomes a Christian


I guess it just wasn't considered to be of enough interest for the newswire. You'd think that the son of a top official of the main terrorist organization in Palestine converting to Christianity would be of at least minimal interest. Luckily I enjoy reading First Things or I would never have stumbled upon this story.

That's what I love about the blogosphere. You learn something new everyday. Speaking of which, if you want to learn something about Arabic names (and which ones aren't), check out The Bi-Coloured-Python-Rock-Snake today. He explains how the name Abdul isn't a name. BTW, this is one of my pet peeves, madrasse is the Arabic word for school. It doesn't mean terrorist training camp. Otherwise all the Catholic schools over here would have a lot of s'plain' to do! Funny how westerners pick up a word and run with it (often in the wrong direction).

I hope you enjoy these links. I sure did.




3 comments:

AnneK said...

Thats so awesome that he became a Christian!

Debbie Haughland Chan said...

That is WONDERFUL news! Have you read anything by Joel C. Rosenberg? He has written a series of very well-written novels of end times in the Middle East--and a non-fiction book to explain what's behind the novels. He talks about Palestinian terrorists becoming Christian. So very cool.

Bi-Coloured-Python-Rock-Snake said...

My favorite line of his testimony: "I now see God through Jesus". What more concise explication is there of the difference between Christianity and all other human attempts to understand God?

Thanks for the link, by the way. And on the language notes, I fully agree with you on the misunderstanding of the connotation of madrassa (yes, yes, madrasseh in Levantine dialect, [shudders]). There is, however, some fairness to it in that, in the non-Arab parts of the Muslim world, madrassa does refer specifically to Islamic schools.