Friday, August 22, 2008

Weird weather

Summer is winding down. A week from tomorrow we head back to Kuwait. Whaaaaa! The good thing is we'll be back with Baba again and Elektra can be a house dog again. Much better with temps just under 120F. The bad news is that we'll be back in the sand pit with Ramadan starting a day or two after our return. {sigh}


This week I took care of getting check ups for the kids and myself. On a couple of discussion boards I belong to it's come up a few times how expensive medical care is. I have to admit that I don't always miss the States. I love it, mind you, but there are times I really don't miss it. For example, my doctor is a cousin of the kids' godfather so I got a discount. I only paid $50. The total would have been about $130 or so if I'd paid for everything. That included the exam, pap smear, and ultrasound. If I'd gone for a mammogram (I don't need to again until next year) I would only have paid about $80. Or at least that's what I paid last year.


The kids went today. They all got vaccinations. Each of them got a shot and the twins each got the oral polio vaccine. The total for 3 office visits and 5 vaccines was $167.67. Try THAT in the States!


Oh, and they're all as healthy as horses. The Boss is a little above average on height and weight but they're proportionate. The average weight for the Diva is 16 kilos and that's what she weighs. The Little Prince is 17 kilos. They're both a few centimeters above average on height. The Little Prince, being the most Lebanese of the three, pitched the biggest fit during the vaccination so there was a little girl in tears in the waiting room. I suspect she might have been even before, but even so, she was definitely not happy to be there after the Little Prince was done. They all got over it pretty quick though. Candy helps. LOL












































The weather here has been very un-Lebanese-like. Normally it doesn't rain here from June-Sept. the last few days have been very foggy. How foggy is it? It's soooo foggy...even the Lebanese drivers are driving carefully! I've almost fainted everytime I've gone somewhere! No, seriously, they've been showing much more caution and actually refrain from trying to pass on blind curves. Now that says something for the weather conditions here. In fact the photo above is the football field at Broumana High School. Normally you see a big brown field. Yesterday you could only see fog.


Yesterday I brought the kids home from summer camp and it was drizzling. We got out of the car and the Little Prince started dancing. He was so excited to feel water dropping on him. OK, nothing like real rain, but he felt it. So they twins decided to do a rain dance. Not a real rain dance, of course, designed to bring rain, but a rain celebration dance. They luckily managed to avoid the dog poop next to our parking space.












































I'm enjoying this nice weather change while I can. Soon enough we'll be back to dust storms for our weather activity so this is nice timing.

2 comments:

a soldier's wife said...

Adorable picture! and great price on the 3 check-ups and immunizations

Mary said...

We lived in England when I was pregnant with my younger son, and I had him in a British hospital. I thought the care was excellent and really enjoyed it. I'm glad the health care is good and also affordable where you are.