Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Little Luther for Tuesday Lent 4

Faith...is a firm trust that Christ, the Son of god, stands in our place and has taken all our sins upon his shoulders and that he is the eternal satisfaction for our sin and reconciles us with God the Father. He who has this faith...devil nor hell nor sin can harm him. Why? Because God is his protector and defender. And when I have this faith, then I am certain God is fighting for me; I can defy the devil, death, hell, and sin, and all the harm with which they threaten me. This is the great, inestimable treasure given us in Christ, which no man can describe or grasp with words...

[You are holy] if you believe that God steps in for you and stakes all he has and his blood for you, as if he were saying: Fall in behind me without fear or delay, and then let us see what can harm you; come devil, death, sin, and hell, and all creation, I shall go before you, for I will be your rear guard and your vanguard (Isa. 52: 12); trust me and boldly rely on me. He who believes that can not be harmed by devil, hell, sin, or death.

-Martin Luther

No comments: