When we first moved here 4 years ago I learned very quickly that I couldn't cook the same way here that I did back in the States. I wasn't big on convenience foods but would keep a few cheaper versions on hand for back-up or as bases to add other delicious (and healthier) ingredients to. I also took advantage of store brand canned items since most recipes call for cans of this or that.
You can't shop the same way here that you do in the States and pay the same at the register. While there are quite a few convenience foods here that would be recognizable to most in the west, the prices are MUCH higher. Also, while it's easy to find most of the canned items you'd need the prices are much higher as well. So many cans for $1? Forget it! I buy canned chick peas for hummus (and I still beat out in-laws who use canned hummus and add more garlic, lemon, and salt). I buy canned foul (for Baba and the Boss). And I'll buy canned corn which we enjoy in the cornbread. (Only one store carries cornmeal that I've seen. Beat's NO stores.) For the most part I'm stuck with a bunch of recipes that tell me to use cans of items but no way to convert to the real thing.
Today we're having spaghetti. I have a really yummy recipe from Not Just Beans by Tawra Kelly. This cookbook is great, but better if you're in the States. Most of her recipes, for main dishes, anyway, call for canned goods. So I have to eyeball it and guess that I'm using the right number of fresh tomatoes. The recipe calls for chopped, stewed tomatoes. Mine are fresh tomatoes that are put in the food processor. I've learned how to be a much better cook from living over here, I have to say. I was a decent one before, but too dependent upon what others had prepared for me ahead of time. Most of what I use now is what I prepare from scratch. It's so cool.
As for milk...today I was short on cash (forget to check the wallet before leaving the house) so instead of buying the big can of powdered skim milk I bought a liter of fresh. I did the math a few minutes ago. It's better, no matter if the powdered makes me choke at the register in some stores, to stick with it. It tastes good and with the free water (we go to a fountain to refill bottles instead of buying) it's much cheaper. I pay between $12-$14 for a can that makes 12.5 liters. For the price of the fresh, if I multiply by 12.5, I end up paying over $20 for the same amount. For the taste and the price, not to mention the other baking uses for it, I'm sticking with the powder. Of course, I'm talking about a certain brand. There are others that cost more and are closer to the price for fresh. Definitely not worth it if you're buying your water.
Well, I'm off to get the kids from school and bring them home for spaghetti and buttery bread sticks (from www.hillbillyhousewife.com).
No comments:
Post a Comment