
This morning was your typical morning here. Got up and got dressed, got the kids up, got breakfast, fixed lunches, got everyone out the door. Little did I know I'd have an encounter with the Army.
We dropped off the Boss first at the main gate and then followed the street around to make the turn down the hill to the Peanuts' building. (The campus is on the side of the mountain so there are buildings spread out all over the place. I drop the Boss off in the morning but he walks down in the afternoon because gravity's on his side by that time.) There was a long line of cars waiting to either make the turn or go on to the intersection past. There was an Army truck parked to the side and a man in uniform in the middle of the street, looking like he was directing traffic. What on earth?
Turns out it was a road march. We've passed them many times before, but this time they were actually holding up traffic. We don't mind though...the kids love to wave at the soldiers (one waved back at the Diva this morning-she was thrilled) and I gotta admit that the impressive scenery this country has to offer ends up at a whole new level.
After they went by (took a while-there were a lot of them) we made our way down. After I took them in and went back out I decided to stop at the one place in the area that sells Dr. Pepper. You can't get it in restaurants, just a few supermarkets that carry it. I know it's there if I ever want it so I just say, "No, not today", and go on my merry little way. But yesterday we had lunch after school with our vicar from q8 and his wife who are here for a long weekend. She asked me about that drink I like (I used to bring a can of it with me to sip on during Bible study). Ever since she brought it up I've wanted some. So, since I had plenty of time before my student was due, I stopped for a couple of cans, along with cereal and jam.
Well, encounter number 2 with the Army (or maybe encounter number 1B?)...I had to pass them again (LONG line of men and narrow streets with other cars coming). I got about half way up their line (more of a mass) and had to make a turn to park in front of the store. There was a slight break and the guy coming up next stopped his buddies for me to turn. {Thank you!}
I got my fix, I mean, my groceries, and got back in the car. Guess what? I had to pass them again. This time I was behind one of the trucks and when he saw that it was clear he motioned me to pass them. They're also pretty good about moving to the right when someone trying to pass meets someone coming from the other way. They know they're in traffic and are very courteous to those trying to get around.
After tutoring I did some dishes, did devotions, and headed out for my walk. One end of the path I walk above the commandos' school. I parked my car at the other end and realized my phone was at home. No problem, just need to make sure I check for calls from the school when I get home. I just told God, "You've been taking care of us for centuries without cell phones. I would assume you can take care of me today without one too."
I had gone a couple of blocks when I heard/felt what seemed to be an explosion of some kind. Now you have to realize I'm not walking in Beirut. I'm in a very nice part of our mountain where I'd never in a million years be able to afford to live. And if I ever could, I'd probably prefer to do something else with the money. But it's great to walk in and people from area come to do just that. So, in other words, you don't expect to hear a bomb go off. (Actually you don't really expect to hear one in Beirut, but anyway... True to my rather laid-back nature, I just kept on walking, looking around as I did for signs of something amiss, and thought, "Must be training."
Later I realized it was probably a bit of God's sense of humor too.
1 comment:
I love reading about your life in Lebanon...it is so different than what we deal with here in North Dakota!
Post a Comment