Monday, January 25, 2010

Good to know what's important

Usually on the morning drive to school (OK, almost ALL my drives anywhere) the iPod is playing in the car. There are a couple of stations that I enjoy here, but it varies. The English station with the best reception up here plays questionable music (questionable as in lyrics) and I don't feel comfortable having it on for the kids to hear. Although I will for short trips and just be ready to switch stations. I probably need to listen more in the mornings though for the news.

I was in the bookstore at the kids' school and she had this station on. I heard the DJ say something about "severe storms" and "shortly after take-off". NOT a good combination to hear in the same story. When I returned to the car I skipped the iPod and turned on this station. After a song or two he was on again with the story of the Ethiopian airliner that crashed off the coast shortly after take-off from Beirut. Such a tragedy.

The weather we've had here the last week or so has been horrible. Almost constant rain except for a nice break most of the day on Thursday and all day Friday. Last night we had lots of lightning and thunder and hail and cars I encountered going to and from the kids' school looked like thy had snow on them (of course, if they live far enough up, that might have been). As I sit here now, it's hailing again. The generator keeps going off and on. I think it's actually the power trying to come back on and not making it. I know the people who work the towers at airports are professionals and planes take off and land all the time in inclement weather, but I have to wonder what on earth they were thinking last night.

According to one news agency a national day of mourning has been declared with cabinet meetings canceled for the day. I got the following sms from the kids' school: Following decision by Education Minister, classes/Nursery suspended from 12:30pm.

But you know what strikes me as odd? It happened at 2 something a.m. The Daily Star updated their site today. I don't know what time, but even if it was midnight, you'd think they'd go on and update again. It's almost noon and they still haven't updated it.

Top story on CNN

Top story on FOX

Top story on Aljazeera English

Top story on Daily Star

Top story on local news on Daily Star

(At least Gore should be pleased that important environmental news didn't get bumped for this.)

Now I am comparing apples and oranges, I suppose, since the Daily Star is a newspaper. But look at the Arab Times out of Kuwait. Their main page was not connecting properly so I don't know what their lead story was, but this link was in their sidebar.

Not everything that happens here makes the major news networks. But when it makes the headlines on CNN and BBC World (the two I get on my TV- wish I could get Aljazeera English- I like that one), and is at the top of the page on Fox's website as well as Aljazeera's, you'd think it would be worthy of a mention on ALL news websites. Especially in the country where it happened.

No comments: