Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Need my Bible!

Last night I was typing for a friend. It was a translation of a pamphlet being handed out from a center that promotes Islam. Apparently the owner of this publication is a very fundamentalist believer who has little or no respect for Believers of the Book (the term for Jews and Christians). He was answering another writer's criticism of his article on the Hajj. This writer was defending his stand on why Muslims are sinning when they wish "deceivers" a Merry Christmas, Happy Valentine's, Happy Mother's Day, etc. The other writer had criticized this and this writer was defending his views. By the time I typed several times about his idea of God's will and what God will punish, bless, etc. I just wanted to get away from the computer and grab my Bible. I almost felt my skin crawling as I typed. It wasn't so bad when I typed quotes by the other writer because he was much more respectful of us Believers of the Book. Much more like my colleagues who do wish me a Merry Christmas when I wish them an Eid Mubarak (Happy Holiday in Arabic).
I know I will never be able to even stomach the idea of converting to Islam. Living here has done so much to strengthen my faith and be more determined to live for Christ (however poorly I feel I'm doing it most of the time). I doubt my Muslim colleagues want to hear this, but many of them do inspire me in my faith walk as a Christian. One of them is such a lady! So graceful, calm, quiet spirit, but quick with a laugh. Oh, to be more like her! (Well, I've got the quick with a laugh part down anyway.)
I have to say that even though we have some very conservative men teaching Islam here (wear the heavy beard, shorter dishdashes, etc.) I've never received anything but a polite, friendly smile from them. They are very respectful and I've never gotten any kind of a "look" from them for my appearance. Of course, I have a dress code to go by, but still...many of them have wives who cover so I look very immodest by comparison.
This school is proof that people CAN get along respectfully. Granted Christians are required to be more respectful than our Muslim counterparts (we can't wear crosses, etc.) but we're never made to feel inferior because we don't practice their faith. And, actually, I believe the ban on crosses is more to keep parents from freaking out (which they can do rather easily) than to keep from offending our colleagues.
This week though is prayer week. The buttons they want us all to wear have a pic of the Kabah (the building in Mecca pilgrims run around multiple times where Mohammed destroyed the idols) and says in Arabic and English "Anything but my prayers". I'm not wearing mine. I took it when the Islam teacher handed it to me but I put it in my pocket. Then I put it on my desk and it remains there. I'm not wearing it. No one's mentioned it and if they did I'd just tell them that I can't do so in good conscience. It's not something I believe in and I have no reason to promote it. I certainly wouldn't discourage my girls from saying their prayers, but I won't wear the button.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Good for you Beth for standing strong in your faith in Almighty God. It must be extremely difficult living in a culture so very different. It's good to hear, though, that most are respectful of others' beliefs.

Jennifer Bogart said...

It must be a unique challenge to be living in the part of the world that you find yourself in. What a unique opportunity to be a witness of Jesus Christs work of grace in your life though!

BTW - you have been tagged :). You can visit my blog at http://www.quiverfullfamiy.com/blog/ to play :).